The following notice about the vacancy for a district councillor for the Storrington and Washington ward appears on the Horsham District Council website.
This follows the de-selection and subsequent resignation of Jim Sanson.
If there are insufficient requests for a by-election, the council can fill the vacancy by co-option.
Requests for a bi-election must be received within 14 days of the vacancy publication date, which in this case was 4 February. So the requests for by-election must be lodged by 18 February.
HORSHAM DISTRICT COUNCIL
NOTICE OF VACANCY IN THE OFFICE
OF DISTRICT COUNCILLOR FOR
STORRINGTON and WASHINGTON
1. NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN under Section 87(2) of the Local Government Act 1972 that due to the resignation of Councillor Jim Sanson a vacancy exists for the office of Councillor for the Storrington and Washington ward of Horsham District Council.
2. A by-election is only triggered by 2 local government electors from within the Horsham District ward requesting a by-election to take place and giving such notice to the Proper Officer of the authority. The Proper Officer for the purpose of Electoral matters is The Returning Officer.
3. On receipt of the requests to fill the vacancy the Returning Officer will set a date for an election at some point in the future which will be notified.
4. Any enquiries can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Requests for a by-election regarding this Casual Vacancy must be sent to:-
The Proper Officer (Returning Officer)
Horsham District Council
West Sussex RH12 1RL
Dated: 4 February 2022
Returning Officer and Proper Officer