West Sussex County Council Budget 2023-2024

West Sussex County Council Residents’ Newsletter

“A council plan and a £1.86 billion budget which ensures support, investment and essential services continue for all West Sussex residents has been approved by West Sussex County Council.”

County Councillors voted in favour of both the plan and the budget at a meeting of the Full Council (17 February).

Budget for the next year includes:

    • £883m managing schools and education
    • £458m caring for adults and keeping people healthy
    • £174m supporting children and young people
    • 84m adapting to climate change, recycling and waste disposal
    • £80m maintenance of our roads and providing transport
    • £56m Fire and Rescue Service and supporting local communities
    • £44m supporting the local economy and running our organisation.

A council tax increase was also approved of 2.99% plus an additional 2% for adult social care, making a total increase of 4.99%.

That means an average band D property will see an increase of around £77.67 per year or £1.50 per week.

Leader of the Council Councillor Paul Marshall said:

As well as the huge task we have of funding day-to-day services for vulnerable adults, children and families, we have successfully managed our finances so we can continue to fund improvements in our highways and infrastructure for the benefit of our residents, communities and businesses.”

Read the story in full

The budget supports the four priorities of the county council’s corporate plan, called Our Council Plan, all of which are underpinned by the theme of tackling climate change.

The priorities are:

  • Keeping people safe from vulnerable situations
  • A sustainable and prosperous economy
  • Helping people and communities to fulfil their potential
  • Making best use of resources.

Read more about Our Council Plan

To find out more about the budget, what we spend, where your money goes, and how to access help and advice, click on the link below.

More budget information, help and advice 

Press Release submitted to the Storrington Community Website

Share post: